Open War, Stalled Peace: The Durand Line in 2026
A few months ago, Pakistan declared what its defence minister Khawaja Asif called an “open war” against the Afghan Taliban. Since then, Islamabad has launched the most sustained cross-border air campaign of its post-2021 Afghanistan policy; Beijing has brokered a ceasefire; and a United Nations report has tallied hundreds of Afghan civilian deaths. None of it has produced an off-ramp. As we noted in March, Pakistan’s diplomatic windfall from the Iran war has not yet translated into leverage over Kabul. If anything, the two tracks have moved in opposite directions: as Islamabad’s external standing has risen, its western frontier has hardened into a structural conflict the world has largely stopped watching.
The Strike Cycle
The current escalation began on February 22, 2026, when Pakistan struck what it described as seven Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and Islamic State Khorasan Province camps in Nangarhar, Paktika and Khost, claiming more than seventy militants killed. The Afghan Taliban responded four days later with a large-scale ground offensive along the Durand Line, with both sides reporting heavy casualties. Within forty-eight hours, Pakistan’s defence minister had declared that Islamabad was in “open war” with Afghanistan, and Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) had announced Operation Ghazab lil-Haq — “Wrath for the Truth” — a campaign now in its third month.
By Pakistan’s own accounting, the operation had killed approximately 684 Afghan Taliban operatives and affiliated militants by early April. Whether this tempo has translated into operational disruption of the TTP is a separate question. The group’s southern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa networks have continued to produce significant attacks throughout April and into May, including a foiled vehicle-borne suicide attack on a Pakistan Army post in South Waziristan on May 4 and a motorcycle-borne bombing at a Lakki Marwat market that killed nine on May 12. The cycle has settled into a recognisable rhythm: strike, retaliation, ceasefire diplomacy, breakdown, strike.
Civilian Costs and the United Nations Tally
The civilian toll of this campaign is now fairly well documented. On May 12, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan published a quarterly report finding that at least 372 Afghan civilians were killed and 397 wounded in cross-border violence between January and March 2026. The mission attributed more than half the deaths to Pakistani air operations, citing among other incidents a single airstrike on a drug-rehabilitation facility in Kunar.
The pattern is not one-directional. On April 15, Afghan Taliban shelling killed a woman and two children in Malik Shaheen village, Bajaur. On April 29, cross-border firing into the Angoor Adda area of South Waziristan wounded three civilians, two of them women. Pakistani missile strikes on Asadabad, capital of Kunar, on April 27 killed three civilians and damaged the Faculty of Education at Sayed Jamaluddin Afghan University. A week later, on May 4, Afghan authorities accused Pakistan of strikes in Dangam district, Kunar, that destroyed two schools, two mosques and a health centre. Neither government has formally acknowledged these civilian impacts in detail.
The Mediation That Did Not Hold
Between the February escalation and the late-April resumption of strikes, Beijing made the most determined diplomatic intervention of the conflict. Six days of talks in Urumqi concluded without a formal agreement or a joint statement. Afghan Foreign Minister Muttaqi described them as "positive" though Pakistan said further progress would depend on Kabul. A Kabul-based security analyst told Al Jazeera that "the negotiations in Urumqi did not achieve a clear settlement or agreement," adding that "both sides may agree to talks under pressure from regional countries, but once the talks end, the same problems return."
The lack of success in China led to further deadly cross-border attacks. On April 27, both sides accused each other of fresh cross-border attacks. Afghanistan reported four killed and 45 wounded in Kunar province, including strikes on a university in Asadabad, which Kabul called a war crime. Pakistan reported three civilians wounded in South Waziristan, while denying the university attack. Pakistan's security forces hit posts in the Chaman sector on April 28 under the Ghazab lil-Haq banner, destroying positions at Sarshan, Al-Marjan and Aidhi along with vehicles and other installations. By May 11, Pakistan’s Foreign Office had summoned the Afghan chargé d’affaires after a vehicle-borne attack on a police post in Bannu, attributing it explicitly to the TTP operating from Afghan soil.
That the Urumqi talks did not yield success tells us something about both sides’ priorities. For Pakistan, the strike option remains preferable to negotiated restraint because the Taliban has not, by Islamabad’s reading, demonstrably reduced sanctuary for the TTP. For Kabul, accepting Pakistani strikes without retaliation along the Durand Line is politically untenable. Mediation only works when the parties themselves perceive continued fighting as more costly than compromise; so far, neither Islamabad nor Kabul has acted as though it does. The broader diplomatic context offered no help either. Even as Islamabad hosted US–Iran ceasefire talks in April, that mediator role generated no visible American pressure on the Afghanistan file. The two tracks ran in parallel, not in tension.
Outlook
Two patterns appear now clear. First, the Pakistan–Afghanistan conflict has decoupled from Pakistan's wider regional diplomacy. Islamabad can host the highest-level United States–Iran talks since 1979 while simultaneously conducting an open-ended bombing campaign across its western border. That contradiction holds because Pakistan's major external partners each have a separate stake in Islamabad they are unwilling to put at risk. Washington wants the Iran channel; Beijing wants China–Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) stability and brokered the Urumqi talks to protect it; Riyadh drew on its mutual defence treaty with Islamabad during the Iran war, deploying Pakistani fighter jets to King Abdulaziz Air Base. None had tied those stakes to the strike campaign on the Durand Line. Washington has gone further, publicly endorsing Pakistan's right to defend itself against the Taliban, and as long as that posture holds, Pakistan pays no diplomatic price for Operation Ghazab lil-Haq.
Second, the strike cycle has acquired its own institutional logic. Operation Ghazab lil-Haq is no longer an episode; it has become a framework. The TTP’s Pakistan’s ability to sustain attacks in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan despite the campaign suggests its operational architecture is more distributed than Pakistan’s targeting model assumes. Meanwhile, the Balochistan Liberation Army and Balochistan Liberation Front continue to exploit the security forces' focus on the Afghan frontier, with sustained attacks across Kech, Mastung and Chagai through April.
The harder question for the rest of 2026 is whether either side has an off-ramp that does not require domestic concessions neither government is prepared to make. As we have argued previously, the underlying constraints, the Afghan Taliban’s reliance on ideological affinity with the TTP, and Pakistan’s inability to absorb sustained domestic attacks without retaliation, remain unresolved. The question remains whether Pakistan’s escalation can compel a Taliban recalculation. Three months in, the answer appears to be: not yet, and perhaps not soon. Until that calculus shifts, the Durand Line is likely to produce a low-intensity but persistent border war, punctuated by ceasefires that do not hold and by civilian casualties that the international community will continue to record without acting upon.
See more from The Durand Dispatch - Perspectives here:




